History of San Isidro, Lima Peru
The history of San Isidro dates back to century III B.C. with the construction of a pyramidal temple in the surroundings of an irrigation channel which was later called Huatca. Its remains can be found in the archeological complex of Huallamarca.
In the XV century, this piece of territory was annexed to the Inca Empire. After the Spanish conquest and three years following the foundation of Lima, the Spaniards conferred the land to Antonio de Rivera, who in 1560, planted the olive trees that today form the olive grove park El Olivar.
In 1777, this land was acquired by Isidoro de Cortázar y Abarca, first Count of San Isidro. From there on, it was known as the San Isidro Farm. In 1853, it was purchased by José G. Paz Soldán, but only two years later, the land was seized by the troops of General Ramón Castilla during the battle of La Palma.
Later, in 1920, the last owner of the farm, Ms Luisa Paz Soldán, created the San Isidro Urbanizing Company and the area became part of the Miraflores district.
Soon after, the lost surrounding El Olivar park were laid out for building following the design of urbanist and sculptor Manuel Piqueras Cotolí. Before 1930, the Faucett aviation field, the Country Club Hotel, and the Lima Golf Club were built.
San Isidro was officially recognized as a district on April 24, 1931, and its first mayor was Mr. Alfredo Parodi. The Virgen del Pilar Church, the San Felipe racetrack, and other important constructions were built, giving prestige to the district.
Today, San Isidro is one of the most modern districts of Lima, and the first entrepreneurial and financial center of the country. It is a district that captives, that exhibits its architecture with pride, and where the most beautiful houses of the city subsist.